Hello to you all! Here is our latest news…please share with all the people who are involved in your project, or anyone else interested!
- Thanks to Jacqui (from EDUCATE) and Paul (from Thred) who joined our ZOOM Webinar on 30th October – we hope you found it helpful. A number of issues came up, including:
- How to reach DEEP groups across the UK
- The role of people with dementia and the roles of supporters/facilitators
- Focusing on solutions
- Capturing learning through case studies
- Wendy, Howard and Ron did a lovely presentation on Dementia Enquirers at the UK Dementia Congress in Doncaster. They talked about how being advisors or researchers on the project makes them feel; what it means for people with dementia to be ‘in the driving seat’; and how this can potentially change the way research is done. The standing ovation was well-deserved!
- The next monthly webinar is on Thursday 5th December (starting 11.00 am). We agreed the focus will be on ‘what does it mean for people with dementia in the driving seat of research?” Please let us know if you’d like to join in – we’d love to involve more of you. Note: you don’t need to subscribe to ZOOM to take part – you just click on the link we will send you.
- And the first webinar of the New Year will be on Tuesday 14th These are mainly for the projects to share ideas, issues and progress.
- Some of you are joining our ZOOM gathering (webinar) on Tuesday 3rd December (International Day of Persons with Disabilities). This will be focusing on learning from, and with, the wider disability movement. It will be hosted by our Advisor Tom Shakespeare. Because numbers are very limited, this is by invitation only – but we will record the whole event and of course share it with you all.
- We are also starting work on a mini-project around ethics. In February 12 we will hold a workshop to discuss coproducing a new ‘Gold Standard’ for ethical dementia research. We will also look at the feasibility of piloting an ethical approval process for the next round of Dementia Enquirers projects (from summer 2020). We’re keen to identify allies and supporters who can help with expertise, encouragement, training, promotion, articles etc.
- Rachael has written up our group discussion about belonging. We are waiting to hear from Dr Chris Clarke, who will help us to begin work on creating a new ‘measure of belonging’. We think that being involved in Dementia Enquirers will help to create more of a feeling of belonging to the DEEP network. We hope we can pilot a measure of belonging with the successful projects from next year’s grants.
- Rachael has contacted the National Lottery Community Fund to ask if the Pioneers could use some money to start an oral history project. We are still waiting for a response.
If you have any queries, thoughts, inspirations or anything at all, please email Rachael at email@example.com or call her on 01392 420076.
We look forward to talking with you all again soon